Venue: Raw Umber Studios
- December 7, 2019 - December 8, 2019
10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Join tutor and alla prima artist Lizet Dingemans and learn to paint the alla prima still life over 2 days. Whether your ultimate goal is to paint portraits, figures, still lifes or landscapes, painting an alla prima still life is the perfect way to learn to handle oil paint or to improve your painting skills. Under Lizet’s guidance, you will gain the confidence and knowledge you need to carry on your journey as a painter.
You will be painting ‘alla prima’ or wet into wet. This enables you to complete paintings quickly, and relatively straightforwardly, without waiting for paint layers to dry. You can learn more about alla prima painting by reading Lizet’s article in Artist and Illustrator’s magazine.The outline course schedule is as follows:
- Health and safety talk.
- How to set up your palette.
- The different shapes and textures of brushes and the effects they can achieve in dry and wet paint.
- Explanation of scumbling and glazing and their uses.
- Explanation of value and Gestalt theory in mass drawing as well as texture in paint.
- Tutor demonstration of a three value white object.
- Students paint a three value wet in wet study.
- If there is time left we set up 3 different textures. Tutor demo of 3 different textures.
- Tutor demo of wipe out techniques. Wipe out a 3 object still life.
- Setting up a single object still life. Tutor demo of mixing colours. Painting a fully finished painting using alla prima techniques using your own objects
Along the way, you will learn about:
- Drawing (getting the right patches of paint in the right place)
- Values (making sure the patches are light or dark enough)
- Edges (how the patches of paint sit next to each other and blend)
- Colours, and how to mix them
You will also learn about brushes, paints, mediums, solvents and paints.
This class is limited to 9 participants and is suitable for all levels. Lizet will tailor the course to your personal needs and you can expect intensive, customised tuition.
The course is taught by Lizet Dingemans. Lizet studied Fine Art at the Angel Academy in Florence in the summer of 2011, and at the London Atelier of Representational Art (LARA) from which she graduated in 2016. Lizet lives and works in London, where she is an artist and art teacher. Her work has sold in the UK, Germany, the Netherlands and the USA. In 2018, she was a contestant in Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year and was nominated for Artists & Illustrators magazine ‘Artist of the Year’ in 2016. You can find out more about Lizet on her web site.