Venue: Raw Umber Studios
- September 21, 2020 - September 24, 2020
10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Students will paint from the live model in this four day portrait painting workshop. Instructor Teresa Oaxaca will work in oils and demonstrate over the course of four days her direct and layered approach to painting the portrait. Each day students with receive critiques as they work on a single portrait of their own, taking instruction from directions, critiques and lectures, as well as watching the process unfold in front of them day by day.
You will learn:
- Direct painting, “Alla Prima” or painting and drawing, all at once
- Teresa’s views of art materials materials and how they relate to the techniques of direct painting, glazing and impasto
- About the durability of paintings and how to choose the best art supplies
- Ideas about color and and composition
- Tonality or Values, and how to they relate to colour choices and drawing and “form painting”
- Edges and realism versus draftsmanship
- Realities and stories about the artist’s life, art history and how to continue to learn to be a painter
Teresa Oaxaca is an American-born artist based currently in Washington D.C. She is a full time painter whose works can be seen in collections and galleries throughout the US and internationally. Her talent has been recognized and rewarded by museums and institutions such as the American Museum of the Cowboy, the Corcoran Gallery of Art, The Art Renewal Center, The Elisabeth Greenshields Foundation, the Posey Foundation, and The Portrait Society of America and the Museu Europeu D’Art Modern in Barcelona.
You can read more about Teresa on her web site.